Carrières des Lumières 2022:
Venice, La Serenissima
A highlight of a visit to Provence is the Carrières des Lumières (Quarry of Lights) multimedia show. This takes place in a disused limestone quarry inside a hill at Les Baux de Provence.
Huge images and video are projected onto the towering walls, accompanied by music. The theme of the Carrières des Lumières changes every year, and for 2022 it is Venice: 'Venice, La Serenissima'.
The show takes you on a tour of Venice through the city's architecture and the art of Canaletto, Tintoretto and Bellini, as well as the music of Vivaldi, Verdi and Albinoni.
It takes about 40 minutes to go round, but once you are in you can stay as long as you like. There are also a book/gift shop and café on site.
Because the quarry is right next to another Provence must-see, the village of Les Baux de Provence, this is an excellent two-in-one outing.
Things to know about the Carrières des Lumières
- this is an indoor attraction and it is cool year-round, about 15C/60F, so even in mid-summer you will need a top or jacket to wear.
- the show is wheelchair-accessible, largely on the same level and with ramps where needed.
- children's pushchairs are not allowed in the show.
- you can show up and buy tickets at the entrance, or skip the lines in high season by buying ahead online here.
- entrance is 14.50 euros per person with concessions for seniors, children, teachers and students. Entrance is free for under-7s and mobility-impaired. Family of 4: 41.50 euros.
- in summer you may not be able to park very close so if that is an issue go early or late.
Opening timesThe Carrières des Lumières is open every day.
January, November, December: 10am-6pm.
April, May, June, September, October: 9.30am-7pm
July and August: 9am-7.30pm
Last admission 1 hour before the Carrières closes.
The Venise la Serenissima show runs until January 2, 2023.
AddressCarrières des Lumières
Route de Maillane 13520 Les Baux-de-Provence
Tel: +33 4 90 49 20 02
Some of the images you will see at this year's Carrières des Lumières show (all images copyright Carrières des Lumières):